Search This Blog

Thursday, July 8, 2010

Baby back ribs with my babe


Taylor threw a side of baby back ribs in our cart while shopping last week.  I had never done ribs, but after reading a recipe in Real Simple, I thought we'd give it a try, how hard could it be?  I seasoned the ribs with a spice rub the night before, then had Taylor precook them in the oven as soon as he got home from the lab, almost 3 hours at 275.  I made my own sauce based off a few good recipes, and Taylor did the final touch by grilling them over charcoals.  


Clarence was all about the smells coming from the grill and got in on the action a few days later when he found the tongs Taylor had used and forgotten to wash or put away.  Despite a little dirt and a few wood chips, he really enjoyed his little taste of our ribs.

To balance the rich ribs I made a fresh salad with cucumber, tomatoes, corn off the cob, and avocados.




Eating outside is a must if you have good weather.

A happy boon



Serves 4Hands-On Time: 15mTotal Time: 3hr 30m

Ingredients

1 tablespoon chili powder

  • 1 tablespoon ground coffee
  • 1 teaspoon ground cumin
  • 4 tablespoons brown sugar
  • 3/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
  • kosher salt and black pepper
  • 6 pounds spareribs (2 racks), trimmed of excess fat

Mix the spices and rub into the meat, I allowed the meat to sit covered in the fridge for a night with the spice rub before pre-baking them.  Preheat the oven to 275 and bake for 2 1/2 to 3 hours.  Finish on the grill, basting with your favorite sauce.  I didn't care for the one on the original recipe so I made my own based off of it, adding: Worcestershire sauce, honey, and maybe a little lime. 2-3 minutes per side. 

The best ribs I've ever had!


No comments:

Post a Comment